The full course equates to 6 CPD hours
Individual sessions may be taken, each equating to 1 CPD hour
Individual Sessions – $33 per person (incl. GST)
Entire Course – $150 per person (incl. GST)
Organisation / Group Fee
- 25% off on bookings of 5 or more.
- 40% off on bookings of 10 or more.
- 50% off on bookings of 15 or more.
- 60% off on bookings off 20 or more.
- Group bookings must be from same facility location.
- Discounts are automatically applied at checkout.
This program aims to improve the person centred care outcomes for clients with dementia by aligning the knowledge and skills of personal care worker with the contemporary practices of 2015, as is offered to registered and enrolled nurses.
six (6) sessions, each of one (1) hour duration
re-enforces the legal responsibility of following care plans
discusses the role of the carer as the ‘eyes and ears’ of nurses
is suitable for carers in all work environments
emphasises legal documentation
aligns knowledge with contemporary care, as for RNs and ENs
Prue Mellor RN, MNg(Geront), MNg(NPrac), MACN
Course Details & Payment Options
The course will be available from March 2, but don’t forget to take the Dementia Quiz now, pre-register, and receive a 20% ‘Early Bird’ Discount.
Delivery suggestions for groups
- we recommend the program, where possible, is set up as group sessions, through your TV or data projector
- staff who cannot make the group sessions can have access to the recorded ‘archived’ sessions at times to suit
- each group should be facilitated by a RN, as ENs cannot not direct care to PCW/AINs
Got any Questions?
click here to submit your enquiry
Full Course Options
Session 1 – Professional Practice for Personal Care Workers
- the legal role of care staff with a Cert III and or IV
- following the care plans and duty of care
- documenting legally
- the issue of PCWs – AINs documenting for ACFI
Session 2 – The brain and how dementia develops
- a diagrammatic demonstration of how Alzheimer’s causes the signs and symptoms
- how care staff will know that a resident/client has some disease in the brain
- how they should respond to the symptoms, using the care plan
- what else looks like a dementia
Session 3 – Different disease
- the different causes of dementia
- memory loss and what the resident may say and do
- how to support a resident with memory loss
- what not to say and do when a resident has memory loss
Session 4 – Person centred care
- person centred care, what it is
- how person centred care works for everyone
- the rights of person centred care
Session 5 – What to expect
- loss of memory and how to respond
- loss of language and how to respond
- loss of abilities for activities of daily living and care needs
- loss and or change of the resident’s interpretation on what they see and hear
Session 6 – Behaviours
- what is and is not a behaviour
- the underpinning of the PLST model of care
- using the care plan for to reduce wandering and agitation
- rest periods to reduce Sundowner’s syndrome